Sunday, July 24, 2011

New York fashion week


Here are the things I loved about New York fashion on Valentine's Day:

1. The fact that the sun was shining (there was also a freak hurricane-ish wind that almost swept me and my flares off my feet as I was leaving Donna Karan's West Side show, but I'm going to focus on the sunnier positives here). Anyway, the sunshine made me think that there would soon be no excuse for fashion audiences to be clad in fur. Peta issues aside, I'm just plain bored of it now.

2. The fact that the brilliant Theory line by Olivier Theyskens is sort of affordable - well, in terms of designer fashion at least.

3. The fact that jeans are genuinely acceptable on the front row again - so long as they are flared. I do love a lazy fashion trend.

4. The fact that J Crew is selling fluorescent long-sleeved T-shirts. Excellent for this season's layering, and currently proliferating among show-goers.

5. Extra-special love for the Marc Jacobs cheap fetish shop set, with its padded shiny pillars and its mirrored floor. Plus the fact that Marc wore a blue rubber shirt under his grey jumper. Plus the fact that the show was two minutes early. Maybe when he's done with fashion he can come and be Minister for Transport or something.

6. And finally ... I loved the descriptions of MJ's boots in the show notes. "Car-paint metallic bootie", "nylon galosh", "snuff suede galosh", "two tone sex brogue". That's some PHD-level usage of the fashion singular right there. Respect.

No comments:

Post a Comment