Wednesday, August 3, 2011

All that glitters is bold


Most women think of jewellery as a final finishing touch, but I have always thought in the reverse,” says Yolande Louw.

“I pick jewellery to reflect my mood or my attitude first; then I look in my wardrobe for clothing that best complements my fashion statement.”

This multifaceted designer embraced her passion for creative adornment at a young age. Growing up in Pretoria, Louw would collect scraps of metal, wire and pieces of wood and spend her spare time crafting her early masterpieces.

“My handmade jewellery was always a hit with family and friends at Christmas and birthdays.”

This hobby evolved into a focused commitment to the study of art and design. After leaving school Louw graduated with a B-Tech in Jewellery Design and Manufacture.

“I love to mix and match with textures, colour and techniques that appeal to the tactile sense,” says Louw, whose inimitable style and artistic ability caters to the unique needs of her clients.

“From avant-garde works of art to glamorous high-end luxury items, I am not afraid to push design boundaries when it comes to creating the ultimate accessory piece.”

Drawing on inspiration from nature, architecture, antiquities, art and fashion, Louw carefully masters the art of combining various organic and symmetrical shapes and patterns.

From chunky rings for teens to delicate brooches for connoisseurs, Louw believes that affordable costume jewellery can be worn by women of all ages. “Colourful jewellery is a playful and bold way to reflect elements of your personality and style.”

A combination of modern artistic flair and cutting-edge use of materials such as resin, perspex, metals and stones has seen Louw’s funky costume jewellery glitter in fashion magazines and on catwalks across the country.

No comments:

Post a Comment