Friday, January 27, 2012

Happy Chinese New Year.


 
Oh, how cute! Today marks the opening of the Chinese year 4709, which is designated the Year of the Golden Rabbit. Since it is a day of celebration for 1.3 billion people in China, as well as untold millions in red-lantern-festooned Chinatowns in every city we can think of, we thought it only right to round up all the possible bunny gifts that fashion has to offer. The rabbit, after all, is the sign of many things the world can do with more of now: calm, compassion, sincerity, diplomacy—he’s a nice little chap.
And by sheer coincidence (although it may not be quite a coincidence since fashion is so Asia-conscious these days), it turns out that a whole warren of designers has been working away at a multiplicity of rabbit motifs. There’sKatie Hillier, who, apart from being the genius behind Marc by Marc Jacobs accessories, Victoria Beckham’s bags, and much else, has her own collection of jewelry perfectly aligned for today’s change in the Chinese zodiac—gold rabbit necklaces with tiny diamond eyes. There’s Markus Lupfer, whose spring line of sequined sweaters includes a bunny on a silver background, made to look like a British stamp. And there’s Christopher Raeburn, whose factory in the East End of London is busy making sustainable rabbit toys: good little fellows who are stuffed with the recycled offcuts of “upcycled” military fabric. One more thought on the fluff-fest: should one miss out on the opportunity for Chinese New Year gift-giving, there’s always April 24. That’s when the Easter Bunny will be out in force.

Happy Chinese New Year

Haven't been updating the blog lately because I was still finding a direction and theme for this blog. I have come to realise that it is almost impossible for me to grab style shots around Hawai'i, though it'll definitely be great if someone would be willing to help me with it since this island has fantastic view! Then again, I rarely dress up around the island, it's always shorts and flip flops.

In the mean time while I redirect the theme of this blog, here's my fair share of the yummy early Chinese New Year dinner I had last week with the regular students here.



Little Village in Chinatown or what they call downtown.




Volcano Pork


Walnut Shrimp *yum*


Mongolian Beef


Kung Pao Chicken


Fried Hor Fun with Beef


Capitol Pork

It was one of the few best meals I had when I first came here. We had a double dose of the walnut shrimp because it was just too yummy! Don't think I've ever had it back home.

Everyone's up now, still getting ang paus and celebrating the second day of Chinese New Year, while I just ended the first day of it. I had a home cooked meal prepared by the girls from Hong Kong. Thanks to them, I didn't had to munch on fast food tonight.

So if you have have any ideas on what I should blog more about, just drop me a comment! Definitely would love to share more about my experience in Hawai'i. And again, Happy Chinese New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment