Thursday, October 6, 2011

Get to Know Dana Levy of Dana Rebecca Designs


Dana Levy’s signature style is bold and colorful but still “simple and timeless in aesthetic,” says the owner of the 4-year-old Dana Rebecca Designs. The third-generation designer grew up behind the scenes on Jeweler’s Row in Chicago, where her business is now headquartered, and favors bold carvings, and soft, feminine shapes like flowers and stars, many in pretty pink gold. While she launched her first collection at age 16, current ones are also inspired by her love for her family and friends, and each piece is named after a special woman in her life.

Dana Levy of Dana Rebecca Designs in Chicago

Dana Levy of Dana Rebecca DesignsDana Levy: I sketch the preliminary drawing myself with the colors and stones I envision. Then I collaborate with my production team to make a scale drawing. I love being involved in every step of the process, and I come up with ideas for new pieces all the time.DL: Hong Kong, India, and Chicago, where I am based. I like knowing that each piece includes elements from all over the world. Pieces are both cast and fabricated, and we purchase chains from Italy and our other components, like stones, come from all over the world.DL: The majority of my pieces are made in 14 karat, but I also create jewelry in 18 karat gold. I work with every stone under the sun, but recently, my stones of choice recently have been Super Seven quartz, tourmalines, and Rainbow Chrysocolla. I love that they are all unique and that the color can look different depending on the angle and the individual who’s wearing them.JCK: What is your jewelry training and education?DL: I graduated with a diploma from the Applied Jewelry Arts Program from the GIA in Carlsbad, Calif.
JCK: How many accounts do you currently have?
DL: My line is sold in eight stores across the country, but mostly in Chicago. I don’t have any international accounts at the moment.JCK: What jewelry shows do you exhibit in?DL: I am not exhibiting in any shows at this time.JCK: What is your starting retail price?DL: Prices start at $275 for a necklace set in 14 karat gold

No comments:

Post a Comment