Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Equus 2001 Exhibition.



 had an amazing stroke of luck this weekend ...
For those who don't know, or don't live in London, the new equestrian exhibition "Equus" was on in London this week. The event organisers asked the polo club where Bert and George live to do a polo demonstration with John Whitaker.
The club asked if I would be kind enough to go and help at the exhibition. There was even a suggestion that I might be the token umpire during the game on the Friday ... little did I know that my luck would change and that I would actually get to play a game of polo with John Whitaker and his daughter Louise on the Saturday and Sunday.
Here they are getting ready for the Friday line up ...
Horses - polo_fri
But on Saturday my luck deals a golden hand ... The teams were me and John (green) playing against Victoria Grace and Louise (white) - I'm in the red hat.
Horses - polo_me Horses - polo_me Horses - polo_me
You wouldn't believe that John had previously only once picked up a polo mallet before this exhibition and that this was Louise's first encounter with polo. It is truly remarkable, but then that are amongst the best riders in the world.
Horses - polo_jl Horses - polo_jl Horses - polo_jl Horses - polo_jl Horses - polo_jl
We had a really good game, and the croud seemed to really enloy it. The girls won 7 to 5 on the Saturday and we drew 7 all on the Sunday. I have to say it was a real privilege for me which I really enjoyed ... and for me, having the crowd cheer your goals was a humbling experience.
Horses - polo Horses - polo Horses - polo Horses - polo Horses - polo Horses - polo Horses - polo Horses - polo Horses - polo Horses - polo Horses - polo Horses - polo Horses - polo Horses - polo Horses - polo Horses - polo Horses - polo
Ascot Park Polo Club, who organised the polo demonstration, also had a nice stand with really cool horse simulator for people to try and see what polo feels like.
Horses - appc Horses - appc Horses - appc
Of course I can't forget the amazing John Lassetter doing a dressage display, showing fine example of shoulder inn half pass.
Horses - lassetter Horses - lassetter Horses - lassetter Horses - lassetter Horses - lassetter Horses - lassetter Horses - lassetter
Finally, and it is a great shame I didn't get better pictures, there was Tanya Larrigan with Jacque. Of course Jacque isn't a pretty as Bert, but he has a great rapport with Tanya. They were doing a great demonstration of voice commands. Canter to halt, pirouette and all - most of the time Jacque did what he was asked ... except where comic timing justified otherwise.
Horses - tanya Horses - tanya
Maybe with 10 years hard work, Bert and George will master the command to come and get a sweetie!

Equus 2002

7 April 2002
Well it appears that it is that time of year again ...
My treat this year was to be able to take part in a polo demonstration with Lucinda Green. I think she has only ever had a go at polo once before, and she played fantastically well.
Horses - lucinda
I didn't get may photos this year unfortunatly. Anyway, Lucinda gave George a signed copy of her book on Eventing, and I think it would be a great laugh to take George on one of her clinics if she is ever in the vacinity.
As you can see its not all play, and I spend many hours during the show giving people lessons on a mechanical horse.
Horses - lessons Horses - lessons
I left the show with a lighter wallet and lots of unnecessary pressies for the horses and myself. Amongst other things, George got a Spanish bridle and bit (a Lipizzaner that won't make him though!) and I have a new horsey for my room ...
Horses - pressies Horses - pressies Horses - pressies

No comments:

Post a Comment