KPT Flyover fashioninn4us.blogspot.comMay 17, 2007
The Impress Market , Situated at saddar Karachi was built in 1889 and was named in honor of Queen Victoria , the impress of the British Empire in South Asia. The Impress market is a fine example of British Colonial architecture. It is the central shoping area of Karachi and has immense character as a result of being situated in the heart of saddar Bazaar ; the hub of all business activities in Karachi.
Designed by James Strachan and considered this architect’s greatest achievement, the college was built between 1887 and 1893. Named after the Sindhi philanthropist Dayaram Jethmal, whose two family members contributed towards its cost, the building was constructed in the neoclassical, or ‘Italian architectural style’. A considerable amount of money was spent on the interior of the college; the floors comprised mosaic tiles imported from Belgium and the eight-foot wide main staircase was fitted with ornamental cast-iron work from McFarlane & Company of Glasgow. Karachi, once the capital of Pakistan, is now the capital of Sindh province and the major port and main commercial centre of the country. It was a strategically located small port at a protected natural harbour on the Arabian Sea north-west of the mouth of the Indus, and was developed and expanded by the British when they took over Sindh in the mid-19th century to serve the booming trade from the Punjab and the wheat and cotton regions of the sub-continent